Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Sea Isle City Historical Museum

     Tuesday, June 13, 2023: I’ve never been to Sea Isle City in Cape May County, New Jersey before, but from what I read, this town had the usual outdoor beach resort activities, a promenade (a former boardwalk), and a downtown shopping area, as well as dining, nightlife, and this place: The Sea Isle City Historical Museum in the Sea Isle City Library, 4800 Central Avenue (609-263-2992). As I said about the last two places I visited in Cape May County: This would be a good place to visit on a rainy day. This small open-floor museum allowed you to go to different sections that covered certain themes in Sea Isle City’s 130+ year history. Therefore, via texts, pictures, and exhibit items, I looked at the following areas: Military and Emergency Services, Old Time Kitchen and Laundry, and Stained Glass Windows, as well as other historical objects, flip chart displays, and chances to do research here. I especially remembered one section that showed pictures and newspaper articles about the two major storms that hit Sea Isle City: The March 1963 Storm and Super Storm Sandy from October 2012. Another area displayed a temporary exhibit theme, and when I was there, I noticed wedding gowns from 1880 to 2007 of brides from Sea Isle City. Then there is the library itself with its resources and events year round, including book sales! Thus, you could learn more about this resort town, and then head outside again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment