Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mercer Museum in PA - 2009

     Tuesday, May 19, 2009: This was the first time I ever took the R5 SEPTA train from Philadelphia to Doylestown, PA. However, this was not the first time I've ever visited the Mercer Museum, 84 South Pine St. (215-345-0210). I first visited here in the 1980s, and similar to the last time, I saw the permanent collection of 55 exhibit rooms and alcoves displaying the tools of many trades that people practiced in the 18th and 19th centuries. I also noticed the finished products from those trades. In addition, the central court showed boats, wagons, and stagecoaches as well as bicycles, baskets, and other items from everyday life. I looked at all of these things that the museum workman suspended on cables through five levels. Nevertheless, a newer exhibit area covered the history of the Native Americans, especially the Lenni-Lenapes, via texts, pictures, and objects. Meanwhile, when I was there, the temporary exhibit area focused on old-time musical instruments. Believe me, it took me about three hours to cover most of this museum. After my visit, I became more grateful for modern, mass-produced products, especially after seeing how people in the past bought and made their material goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment