Friday, December 30, 2022

NJ Maritime Museum

     Friday, December 30, 2022: In a nautical mood, I traveled to Ocean County, New Jersey and visited the NJ Maritime Museum, 528 Dock Road, Beach Haven on Long Beach Island (609-492-0202). Upon entering, I thought that this museum would contain a few exhibit areas, but I was wrong! A friendly guide told me that on two floors, there were several exhibit areas showing items from floor to ceiling. Therefore, by way of texts, pictures, videos, and many exhibit items, I learned quite a bit about NJ’s role near the sea, on the sea, and under the sea. Many of the stuff on display were things recovered from shipwrecks, uniforms worn by navy, coastguard, and United States Life Saving Service personnel, as well as deep sea diving outfits, equipment used on ships, lighthouse objects including a Fresnel lens, examples of animal life in and near the sea, and much more. In an area about shipwrecks, the museum had a room detailing what happened before, during, and after the 1934 fire onboard the Morro Castle.  I also looked at plenty of boat and ship models as well as an area about fishing, especially a Women’s Surf Fishing Club exhibit, and photos of NJ storms. If I had stopped to read and study everything, I would have to have made a return visit or more. As it was, I spent a few hours here at this “must see” attraction that has been opened year round.  

No comments:

Post a Comment