Monday, December 19, 2022

Cattus Island

      Monday, December 19, 2022: I was at a New Jersey state park earlier in the day, but later, I arrived at an Ocean County, NJ park: Cattus Island County Park, 1170 Cattus Island Boulevard, Toms River (732-270-6960). Back in 1895, John Cattus bought this island and used it for a vacation home. Years later, it became part of the Ocean County Parks & Recreation system. The first thing I did was enter the Cooper Environmental Center where I learned more about the local natural history of the area. By way of texts, pictures, and different kinds of exhibits, I saw live animals such as reptiles, amphibians, and fish as well as other animals represented in carvings and taxidermy. I also noticed some interactive exhibits for children. Other activities at this park included eight hiking trails where the three ecosystems included a forest area, a salt marsh, and the natural area of Barnegat Bay! Near the Environmental Center was a picnic area, playground, bird observation blinds, a boat launch, and a butterfly garden. The Center also had a room for temporary exhibits. When I was there, I glanced at several gingerbread houses, and the surrounding area displayed holiday decorations. Overall, this whole day was a good introduction to what creatures and plants lived in this area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment