Saturday, June 4, 2022

West Windsor Farmers' Market

     Saturday, June 4, 2022: On a lovely sunny day I arrived at the West Windsor Farmers’ Market, 877 Alexander Road, West Windsor Township, New Jersey (609-913-7581). Unlike many farmers’ markets, this Mercer County market didn’t include vendors selling discount non-edible merchandise or crafts. Almost all of the entire close to 50 vendors sold food and drink! At this open-air market, most of the vendors came from local farms to sell their foods: produce, meats, and eggs, as well as dairy, baked goods, and other foods. In addition to fresh foods, I also saw vendors who sold foods in packages and jars. As for the beverages, I noticed people selling teas, coffees, and juices, and some alcoholic beverages included brews, wines, and spirits. The few non-edible stands included a knife-sharpening service and different community groups promoting ecology, health, and bicycling. My favorite group promoted local history. At this table, I observed pictures, both old and new, of the area, and exhibit items from the past for domestic and farm work. (West Windsor is planning different celebrations in 2022 because the township turned 225 years old.) Overall, I bought a few food items that I couldn’t find in my local grocery store or supermarket, and adding to the atmosphere, local musicians performed nearby. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment