Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Woodbury

 

     Thursday, June 17, 2021: On this day I took a quick trip to the county seat of Gloucester County, New Jersey: Woodbury. My first stop was the headquarters of the Gloucester County Historical Society or the Hunter-Lawrence-Jessup House, 58 North Broad Street (856-848-8531). Although the first owner built the house in 1765, through the years, different owners altered it, and it looked like a Victorian Gothic house. When I was there, the museum was closed due to covid-19, but I did notice a nearby historical plaque which read that this was the site where British General Cornwallis had his headquarters on November 12-24, 1777. Later, I went to South Broad Street to browse at the businesses in Woodbury’s downtown. The styles of the buildings ranged from the 19th century to into the 20th century. My favorite shops were Woodbury Antiques and the Nerd Mall. This last place sold comic books, action figures, games, and so forth. If nothing else, I spent an interesting few hours browsing!     

No comments:

Post a Comment