Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Whitall House

      Saturday, June 12, 2021: This has been a place my parents used to take me to on a daytrip during my childhood in the 1960s. Back then, there was the “old house” on the property, a few monuments, and some cannons. We mainly enjoyed the parkland for a picnic and later did some beach combing along the Delaware River. Years later, the Ann Whitall Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution restored the “old House.” Nowadays, it has been known as the Whitall House at Red Bank Battlefield Park, 100 Hessian Ave., National Park, NJ (Gloucester County) (856-853-5120) and had been opened for tours. I toured it in the early 2000s and on the date above. (I have a more detailed account about this house in Volume 1, Issue 3, of Dotty’s Dimensions.) Inside, this house has been restored to the way it looked on October 22, 1777 when the Battle of Red Bank took place. Outside, I saw an 18th-century styled garden containing plants that a family from the 1770s would grow for many purposes: medicine, to make dyes, flavoring food, and so forth. In addition, I also noticed some of the monuments, cannons, parkland, and beachfront that I remembered from the 1960s!   

No comments:

Post a Comment