Thursday, July 6, 2023

Beach Plum Farm

     Thursday, July 6, 2023: After seeing Cape May, New Jersey in all if its Victorian glory with its beach and other seaside delights, I traveled to another Cape May County town: West Cape May. Unlike Cape May, West Cape May was a mostly farming community that included different farm markets, but the one I visited looked the most interesting: the Beach Plum Farm, 140 Stevens Street (609-459-0121). While this place rented cottages for a steep price for those who wanted a “farming vacation,” they also catered to day trippers. I chose the latter option. Here the owners wanted to help the public to learn more about the foods they were eating, especially the produce and eggs from this farm. They have a restaurant with a limited menu, or one could browse and buy at their farm market. I decided to browse and shop. On two floors, I noticed their selection of housewares & gifts, and for edible merchandise, their produce, eggs, and meats. This place also sold plenty of packaged foods in the form of boxed, bagged, and jarred foods grown and made at other farms as well as at this farm. After I bought a few items, I did a self-tour of the grounds with its gardens of flowers, produce, and herbs & spices. I also saw some chickens running freely. Some people signed up for the guided tours for a price. Nevertheless, it made for a nice contrast to Cape May! Overall, there is room for both kinds of daytrips near the NJ Shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment