Friday, July 30, 2021

Bordentown

      Friday, July 30, 2021: Now that I am finished with visiting Gloucester County, New Jersey, my next NJ county will be Burlington. Therefore, on the date above, I visited Bordentown, especially downtown Bordentown. (For more information, contact Downtown Bordentown Association, 200 Farnsworth Avenue [609-414-0818]). On a few blocks of Farnsworth Avenue, I noticed shops, restaurants, and other businesses housed in buildings from the 18th-, 19th-, and 20th-centuries. The town officials referred to this town as “the little city with a lot of charm.” While it did look charming, the days and hours of many of its businesses were limited. Unlike many downtowns whose business hours and days were usually Monday to Saturday from about 10 A.M. to about 5 or 6 P.M., and about noon to around 5 P.M. on Sundays, many of Bordentown’s shops usually didn’t open until sometime around 11 A.M., noon, 1 P.M. or even 2 P.M. until early evening. Meanwhile, many of these same businesses stayed closed on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. In other words, the best time to shop in town was on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday from afternoon to early evening. Personally, I didn’t mind because I only intended to walk through the downtown and take a few pictures! Nevertheless, they have held special events year round, and from June through September this town has a farmers’ market on Sunday mornings. This has been one of NJ’s oldest towns, going back to 1682.   

1 comment:

  1. I have been to Burlington County many times in my life, and I have a report about Batsto, NJ, in an issue of The State I'm In.

    ReplyDelete