Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Cherry Hill Mall

      Wednesday, January 4, 2023: Cherry Hill Mall, 2000 Route 38, Cherry Hill (Camden County), New Jersey (856-662-7440) first opened on October 11, 1961. At the time, it was the first enclosed shopping mall to open east of the Mississippi River. Back then, it was located in Delaware Township, but on November 7, 1961, those in power changed the name to Cherry Hill Township. I remembered my parents taking me there in December 1961. In those days, I was five, and the staff decorated the mall for Christmas. Throughout the year during the 1960s, Cherry Hill Mall contained fountains, birds in cages, plants & flowers, and plenty of stores. Just looking around here proved to be a great experience! Meanwhile, the stores ranged from budget to upscale. Through the years, the mall officials added part of a second floor, and removed the birds in cages, plants & flowers, and most of the fountains. Instead, the staff replaced them with small vendors selling mostly upscale products. In fact, most of the stores nowadays have been upscale. The date above was the first time I’ve been here since 2019, and while a few stores changed, the overall effect of the mall looked the same. Nevertheless, I am glad to see a mall operating at almost full capacity after so many other malls have few stores in them or closed altogether. From what I saw, this mall isn’t in danger of closing, and I’m glad.   

No comments:

Post a Comment